Microchip Technology Inc. (NASDAQ: MCHP) (Chandler, AZ) has announced an expansion of its 8-bit PIC16F178X enhanced Mid-Range core microcontroller (MCU) family with increased Flash memory densities, intelligent analog, and digital peripherals, such as on-chip 12-bit Analog-to-Digital Converters (ADCs), 16-bit PWMs, 8-bit and 5-bit Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs), operational amplifiers, and high-speed comparators with 50 ns response time, along with EUSART (including LIN), I2C™ and SPI interface peripherals.
The PIC16F178X are the first PIC® MCUs to implement the new Programmable Switch Mode Controller (PSMC), which is an advanced 16-bit Pulse-Width Modulator (PWM) with 64 MHz operation and high-performance capabilities. This combination of features enables higher efficiency and performance, along with cost and space reductions. The new MCUs also feature eXtreme Low Power (XLP) Technology for active and sleep currents of just 32 µA/MHz and 50 nA, respectively, helping to extend battery life and reduce standby current consumption. Low power consumption in combination with advanced analog and digital integration make the PIC16F178X MCUs ideal for LED and other lighting applications, battery management, digital power supplies, motor control, and general-purpose applications.
Available in 28- and 40-pin packages, the MCUs’ intelligent analog integration paired with Core Independent Peripherals, inclusive of the PSMC, DACs, Op Amps, high-speed comparators, and 12-bit ADC, enable self-sustaining smart control loops with minimal CPU intervention. This allows for optimal application control while freeing the CPU to provide incremental application value, such as system health monitoring, communications, or human- interface control. Additionally, the MCUs feature a 32 MHz internal oscillator, 2 - 16K Words (3.5 - 28K Bytes) of Flash, 256 - 2K Bytes of RAM, and 256 Bytes of data EEPROM.
- Enhanced Mid-Range Core with 49 Instruction, 16 Stack Levels.
- Flash Program Memory with self read/write capability.
- 256 Bytes of EEPROM.
- Internal 32 MHz oscillator.
- 4 x PSMC (Programmable Switch Mode Controller)- Dedicated 16bit PWM- Digital and/or analog feedback control of PWM frequency- Dead-band control / auto-shutdown & restart.
- 4 x Fast Comparators with selectable Voltage Reference.
- 3 x Operation Amplifiers (rail-to-rail in and out).
- 14 x 12-bit ADC with Voltage Reference.
- 8-bit DAC.
- 3 x 5-bit DAC.
- Four 8-bit Timer (TMR0/TMR2/TMR4/TMR6).
- One 16-bit Timer (TMR1).
- Extended Watchdog Timer (EWDT).
- Wide Operating Voltage Range:- ‘F’ Version (2.3 – 5.5 V)- Low Power ‘LF’ variant (1.8 – 3.6 V).
- 25 mA Source/Sink current I/O.
For more information visit microchip.com.