Ultra low power (ULP) RF specialist Nordic Semiconductor ASA (Oslo, Norway) has announced that Canadian startup Wimoto Technologies Inc. has specified Nordic's nRF51822 System-on-Chip (SoC) to provide Bluetooth Smart wireless connectivity between iOS and Android smartphones, tablets and computers, and Wimoto's 'Mote' environmental sensors.
In operation, Motes are claimed to employ industrial-grade sensor technologies, interface seamlessly with a free Wimoto app over a range of up to 35 meters (around 100 ft), and run for up to three years from a coin cell (CR2450) battery.
Motes are weather-proof and about the size of a stack of five U.S. quarters, or 35 x 35 x 15 mm (around 1.4 x 1.4 x 0.6 in), and according to Wimoto can be placed just about anywhere to measure various combinations of physical parameters including: soil moisture, humidity, ambient light, movement, proximity, water leaks, and temperature (contact probe-based and non-contact infra-red/IR-based), which can all be monitored remotely from a Bluetooth Smart Ready device.
Products currently available include:
- 'Wimoto Climate' for measuring temperature, humidity, and light levels for environmental monitoring (e.g. humidors, babies' rooms, and basements).
- 'Wimoto Grow' for measuring when plants need watering (outdoor or indoor).
- 'Wimoto Thermo' for remotely measuring the temperature of an object it's pointed at - such as water (pools), food, or exotic pets.
- 'Wimoto Sentry' for detecting external (human or object) movement.
- 'Cloud Cube' gateway which provides unattended, autonomous monitoring of Wimoto sensors and real-time alerts via the Internet or cellular network.
For more information visit nordicsemi.com.