Cypress Semiconductor (San Francisco, CA) has announced three new USB 3.0 solutions that enable new applications of the 5-Gbps SuperSpeed USB 3.0 standard. The new additions to Cypress’s market-leading programmable USB 3.0 controller portfolio include the EZ-USB® CX3 camera controller, the EZ-USB FX3S storage controller, and the EZ-USB FX3 CSP controller, which is the industry’s smallest USB 3.0 solution.
EZ-USB CX3 is a USB 3.0 programmable camera controller that enables developers to add USB 3.0 connectivity to any image sensors supporting the Mobile Industry Processor Interface (MIPI) Camera Serial Interface Type 2 (CSI-2) standard. CX3:
- Supports MIPI CSI-2 version 1.01, up to 4 data lanes at speed up to 1 Gbps per lane, for a total bandwidth of 4 Gbps.
- Is ideally suited for high-definition, high-speed image-capturing applications
- Is capable of streaming uncompressed video at 1080p at 30 fps or 720p 60 fps.
- Supports many image formats including RAW8/10/12/14, YUV422 (CCIR/ITU 8/10-bit), and RGB888/666/565.
- Comes with an ARM9 CPU and 512 KB SRAM, providing 200 MIPS of computational power for on-chip image data processing.
- Supports multiple peripheral interfaces such as I2C, SPI, and UART, which can be programmed to support Pan, Tilt and Zoom or other camera control functions.
EZ-USB FX3S is a USB 3.0 storage controller that supports dual Secure Digital (SD) or embedded MultiMedia Card (eMMC) interfaces. Based on Cypress’s proprietary West Bridge® architecture, FX3S:
- Enables simultaneous links among storage media, application processor and USB 3.0, allowing unrestricted three-way data flow for maximizing data transfer rate. Contains an on-chip support for Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID), which offers RAID0 or RAID1 configurations and can be programmed to support vendor-specific commends via Mass Storage Class (MSC) drivers that are standard in nearly all operating systems.
- Is equipped with a 16-bit configurable General Programmable Interface (GPIF™ II), making it capable of interfacing with virtually any application processor and can be programmed as a boot disk for the processor.
- Measures 10x10 mm in footprint, enabling the industry’s smallest RAID-on-Chip solution.
- Is ideally suited for server virtualization and embedded storage applications.
EZ-USB FX3 CSP is the industry-leading FX3 USB 3.0 peripheral controller in a Wafer-Level Chip Scale Package (WLCSP). FX3 CSP:
- Measures only 4.7x5.1 mm, offering more than a 75% footprint reduction from the FX3 controller in a Ball-Grid-Array package (10x10 mm).
- Is a programmable USB 3.0 peripheral controller.
- Is equipped with a 32-bit configurable GPIF II interface, making it capable of interfacing with virtually any processor, FPGA, ASIC, or image sensor that requires USB 3.0 device functionality.
- Has a programmable 256-state GPIF II, making it capable of providing 400 MB/s bandwidth to meet the data throughput requirements of the most demanding USB 3.0 applications.
- Has an on-chip ARM9 CPU core with 512 KB RAM, which delivers 200 MIPS of computational power for applications that require local data processing.
The FX3 features a controller with a highly configurable development kit (DVK) and companion software tool, the GPIF II Designer, to jumpstart any USB 3.0 project. The FX3 DVK contains all necessary hardware, software development kit (SDK), and documentation that a developer needs to start hardware and software integration. Using the DVK, designers can fully explore FX3’s 32 configurable USB end-points, rich APIs, and other built-in interfaces – such as GPIOs, SPI, I2C, and I2S – for system level monitoring and control. The intuitive GPIF II Designer with Graphic User Interface (GUI) guides developers in simple, logical steps to configure FX3’s GPIF II in 32-bit, 16-bit, or 8-bit configurations to meet unique system requirements. Once configured, GPIF II provides simple and glue-less connectivity to commonly used system interfaces such as slave FIFO, SRAM, ADMUX, or any vendor-defined interfaces. The flexibility and programmability of FX3 makes it an ideal solution to add USB 3.0 connectivity to virtually system.
For more information please visit www.cypress.com