AVX  (Greenville, SC) has released the new TransGuard and StaticGuard VCLD Series multilayer varistors with Sn/Pb terminations, which feature a minimum of 5 percent lead (Pb). Designed specifically to support customers who cannot accept pure tin components in their applications, especially within the defense industry, the new VCLD Series varistors provide EMI/RFI attenuation and bi-directional overvoltage protection against transient events such as ESD, inductive switching, lightning, and nuclear electromagnetic pulses (NEMP) in a single SMT package. The new varistors feature:
- Fast response times to ESD strikes.
- Multi-strike capabilities.
- High reliability.
- Radiation resistance.
- EMI/RFI filtering in the off-state.
- Rating for use in temperatures spanning –55 to +125°C.
The multilayer varistors are ideal for applications including IC protection, micro controllers, relays, I/O ports, keyboard protection, portable devices, and radios.
Features of the TransGuard VCLD Series varistors:
- 4 cases sizes (0603, 0805, 1206, and 1210).
- 16 working voltages (spanning 5.6 to 85VDC).
- 13 energy ratings (spanning 0.05 to 2.0J).
- 19 clamping voltages (spanning 18 to 150 V).
Features of the StaticGuard VCLD Series varistors:
- Working voltage of 18 VDC.
- Clamping voltage of 50 V.
- 3 case sizes (0603, 0805, and 1206) and
- 2 energy ratings (0.05 and 0.1J).
For more information please visit www.avx.com 
Specifically designed for applications that cannot accept pure tin components, the new VCLD Series varistors feature terminations containing a minimum of 5 percent lead and provide EMI/RFI attenuation and bi-directional overvoltage protection.