New York, New York (December 2, 2013) – The IEEE Communications Society will announce this year’s Career and Service Awards at IEEE GLOBECOM 2013 to be held December 9 – 13, 2013 at the Hilton Atlanta Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia. Themed the Power of Global Communications, the five-day global event is expected to host thousands of industry professionals attending more than 1,500 presentations exploring key topic areas ranging from next generation broadband, wireless, multimedia, image and voice advancements to e-Health, Internet of Things (IoT), game theory, power-line, satellite, space, green and social networking communications.
Commencing with a full day of tutorials and workshops on Monday, December 9, IEEE GLOBECOM 2013 will hold the organization’s awards ceremony on Tuesday afternoon at the annual conference luncheon. Included among the many honorees are:
- Byeong Gi Lee, a former IEEE ComSoc President, who will receive the IEEE Communications Society Donald W. McLellan Meritorious Service Award for the “Promotion of global culture and values in IEEE Communication Society activities and governance.”
- Gerhard Fettweis of TU Dresden, who will be presented the IEEE Communications Society Harold Sobol Award for Exemplary Service to Meetings & Conferences and his outstanding contributions to international leading research and organization and oversight of major conferences and events.
- David Daut of Rutgers University, who will receive the IEEE Communications Society Joseph LoCicero Award for Exemplary Service to Publications based on his outstanding service and dedication as Publications Editor for IEEE Transactions on Communications.
- John M. Cioffi, Chair and CEO of ASSIA Inc., who will be given the IEEE Communications Society Edwin Howard Armstrong Achievement Award for “Profound and broad contributions to the theory, practice, and commercial development of high-speed digital communication systems.”
- Michael J. Marcus, Director at Marcus Spectrum Solutions LLC, who will be presented the IEEE Communications Society Award for Public Service in the Field of Telecommunications and “Pioneering spectrum policy initiatives that created modern unlicensed spectrum bands for applications that have changed our world.”
- Rajiv Laroia, cofounder and CTO of Tinz Optics, who will be honored with the IEEE Communications Society Industrial Innovation Award for “Innovations to Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access Cellular Wireless Data Communication Systems.”
In its 56th consecutive year, IEEE GLOBECOM 2013 will be highlighted by more than 800 technical paper presentations, senior-executive addresses and panel discussions, the exhibitions of global technological corporations and numerous business and industrial forums focused on the “new world” of IPv6, smart grid, cloud computing and network infrastructure advancements. Already included within this comprehensive agenda are the keynote addresses of:
- Jessica Rosenworcel, Commissioner, Federal Communications Commission (FCC), who will speak on “Wireless Communications: A Regulatory Perspective” and how the government can encourage innovation and network topology breakthroughs.
- Lew Tucker, Vice President and Chief Technology Officer of Cloud Computing at Cisco, who will discuss “Cloud Computing and the Promise of Networking-as a-Service,” the emergence of cloud computing platforms, and the development of network-centric platforms enhancing the delivery of elastic, software-based network services.
- Branko Bjelajac, who will speak on “Information and Communication Technology – A Key Enabler of Smart Grid Innovation” and its role in transforming and modernizing the sustainability, production, distribution and consumption of electricity on a global scale.
Another significant event will be the “Dialogue with Industry Leaders” to be held Tuesday evening and moderated by Technology Association of Georgia President, Tino Mantella. This panel session will feature the industry perspectives and technological insights of senior executives including Chris Walters, Chief Operating Officer, The Weather Company; Cameron Coursey, Vice President, Product Development for AT&T’s Emerging Devices Organization; and Louis K. Gump, President & CEO, LSN Mobile, Inc.
For more information, visit www.ieee-globecom.org/2013