Cees Links, founder and CEO of GreenPeak Technologies, sits down with WDD in the HotSeat to discuss the latest developments in the Smart Home and ZigBee.
Links is a pioneer of the wireless data industry, a visionary leader who helped the world of mobile computing and continuous networking together. At NCR, AT&T, Lucent, and Agere he led the teams that developed the first wireless LANs and which ultimately became house-hold technology – WiFi - integrated into the PCs and notebooks now ubiquitous worldwide. He also pioneered the development of access points, home networking routers and hotspot base stations, all widely used today.
In late 2004 Cees started with GreenPeak Technologies, a fabless semiconductor company with a strong focus on wireless for sense and control networks in combination with battery-less technology, targeting communication devices working on ambient energy. Cees’ vision is to “build a smarter world” by developing a communications platform between devices sensing and enabling us to control our lives.
Cees was involved in the establishment of the IEEE 802.11 standardization committee and the Wi-Fi Alliance. He was also instrumental in helping to establish the IEEE 802.15 standardization committee as the basis for the ZigBee sense and control networking technology and standardization.
- To begin our discussion, can you explain what ZigBee is?
- What do smart home product developers need to know about integrating ZigBee into their devices?
- Why are the world’s cable companies and service providers now shipping ZigBee in most of their new set top boxes and gateways?
- What does the ZigBee - smart home - smartphone architecture look like?
- Can you provide us with some insight on what we can expect to see from GreenPeak and ZigBee in the upcoming years in regards to SmartHome Technology? What other innovations is it leading to?
- Anything else you would like to comment on or add?
For more information visit www.greenpeak.com.
Want to be on the HotSeat? Contact email@example.com.