Wimoto Specifies ASA SoC to Provide Bluetooth Smart Wireless Connectivity
Ultra low power (ULP) RF specialist Nordic Semiconductor ASA (Oslo, Norway) has announced that Canadian startup Wimoto Technologies Inc. has specified Nordic's nRF51822 System-on-Chip (SoC) to provide Bluetooth Smart wireless connectivity between iOS and Android smartphones, tablets and computers, and Wimoto's 'Mote' environmental sensors.
In operation, Motes are claimed to employ industrial-grade sensor technologies, interface seamlessly with a free Wimoto app over a range of up to 35 meters (around 100 ft), and run for up to three years from a coin cell (CR2450) battery.
Motes are weather-proof and about the size of a stack of five U.S. quarters, or 35 x 35 x 15 mm (around 1.4 x 1.4 x 0.6 in), and according to Wimoto can be placed just about anywhere to measure various combinations of physical parameters including: soil moisture, humidity, ambient light, movement, proximity, water leaks, and temperature (contact probe-based and non-contact infra-red/IR-based), which can all be monitored remotely from a Bluetooth Smart Ready device.
Products currently available include:
- 'Wimoto Climate' for measuring temperature, humidity, and light levels for environmental monitoring (e.g. humidors, babies' rooms, and basements).
- 'Wimoto Grow' for measuring when plants need watering (outdoor or indoor).
- 'Wimoto Thermo' for remotely measuring the temperature of an object it's pointed at - such as water (pools), food, or exotic pets.
- 'Wimoto Sentry' for detecting external (human or object) movement.
- 'Cloud Cube' gateway which provides unattended, autonomous monitoring of Wimoto sensors and real-time alerts via the Internet or cellular network.
For more information visit nordicsemi.com.