Ixia Demonstrates MPLS-TP Services at MPLS 2011
Ixiaparticipated in an MPLS 2011 interoperability demonstration with Isocore, successfully validating several advanced MPLS and MPLS-TP functionalities in a live test scenario using IxNetwork, Ixia’s award-winning and comprehensive protocol testing application. The results from these tests will be presented as part of a white paper released at the convention, taking place from October 16 – 19th, in Washington, DC. Ixia will also be part of a joint MPLS-TP panel discussion with Verizon and Cisco on Tuesday, Oct 18th from 11am to 12:30pm. The comprehensive interoperability event includes network elements from Alcatel-Lucent, Brocade Communication Systems, Cisco Systems, Juniper Networks, and NEC Corporation.
Ixia’s solutions successfully validated the MPLS-TP and carrier Ethernet tests against the participating vendors. This event is the first interoperability test to include some of the more advanced MPLS-TP features. Ixia was able to test the following MPLS-TP functions:
- Single Hop BFD LSP
- Single Hop Y.1731 LSP
- Multi Hop BFD LSP
- Multi Hop BFD PW nested LSP
- Multi Hop Y.1731 LSP
In addition, Ixia verified interoperability with several vendors’ 100 Gigabit Ethernet implementations. Using its higher speed Ethernet (HSE) testing solution, Ixia performed:
- CFM (802.1ag) testing
- L2oMPLS (Martini) services testing
- VPLS services testing
MPLS-TP is expected to be a low-cost L2 technology that supports connection-oriented packet transport services with a similar degree of predictability, reliability, and OAM found in existing transport networks. As such, it has garnered tremendous interest from the service provider community and will be a key area of product development for network equipment manufacturers over the next several years.
Test equipment will play a critical role in the functional, interoperability, and performance validation of MPLS-TP implementations. Ixia's IxNetwork is the only test application that supports new MPLS-TP technologies. IxNetwork helps to accelerate the development and deployment of MPLS-TP features and functionality.
- IxNetwork is designed to test network infrastructure, capacity, scalability, and convergence using its scaled protocol emulation. IxNetwork provides rapid isolation of network issues, service modeling at Internet scale, and accurate convergence measurement.
- Ixia’s award-wining, cutting-edge hardware platform helped make the interoperability testing successful.
- The Xcellon-Flex Accelerated Performance load module is ideal for layer 2-7 performance testing, providing ultra-high-scale session and protocol emulation per port.
- Ixia's K2 100GE test module is an essential tool for the development of 100 Gbps network devices such as routers, switches, server network interface cards (NICs), converged network adapters (CNAs) and semiconductor communications devices.
- According to Frost & Sullivan, Ixia is the leading manufacturer of HSE 40/100GE test solutions.
- “Carriers have progressed from verifying ‘basic’ MPLS-TP functionality and interoperability to testing more advanced features of the technology,” said Tara Van Unen, senior manager, market development at Ixia. “Ixia’s successful participation in the Isocore interoperability event demonstrates our leadership in providing validation for advanced MPLS-TP and HSE features using our field-tested, mature IxNetwork solution.”
- “Service providers are moving toward a single packet network infrastructure supporting multiple services at lower operational costs. MPLS-TP is emerging as the industry standard to enable connection-oriented packet transport to meet the growing demand,” said Dr. Bijan Jabbari, President of Isocore. “Ixia’s MPLS-TP and HSE test solutions are critical in assisting carriers to expand their networks which employ these highly sophisticated features in a multi-vendor environment.”
- For more on Ixia’s MPLS-TP test solutions, go to http://www.ixiacom.com/solutions/mpls_tp/index.php.
- For more on Ixia’s HSE test solutions, go to http://www.ixiacom.com/products/40_100_gigabit_ethernet/index.php.
- For a copy of the white paper, go to http://www.isocore.com/reports/MPLS2011%20White%20Paper.pdf.
Posted by Janine E. Mooney, Editor