Mobile Phone Data Traffic to Increase Tenfold

Wed, 11/17/2010 - 6:07am
BOSTON -- (BUSINESS WIRE) -- According to the latest forecast from the Strategy Analytics Wireless Media Strategies service, “Global Handset Data Traffic Forecast: 2001-2015,” handset-generated data traffic will account for 30 percent (over 8000 Petabytes (PB)) of the global network load by 2015, up tenfold from 2010. Wireless dongles and connected consumer electronics devices, including tablets, will generate the remaining 70 percent.

Senior Analyst, Nitesh Patel, noted, “Over the next five years the growth in mobile phone data traffic will be driven by consumer use of mobile web browsing and video consumption, which will account for over 95% of total handset-based data traffic by 2015.”

Strategy Analytics predicts continued strong demand for smartphones and data plans over the next 5 years, which will enable increasing access to popular consumer data services like video and browsing. Operators will need to prepare network capacity for this growth in demand.

David MacQueen, Director of Wireless Media Research at Strategy Analytics, stated, “The combination of improved data traffic analytics, investment in network capacity and differential pricing strategies will allow operators to more effectively match consumer demand with their finite network resources.”


Share this Story

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.